This mouth-watering picture depicts a popular Filipino appetizer, “Chicken Lollipop.” When we searched for the perfect recipe for it, we came across the Filipino Style Recipe Blog, a collection of Pinoy (Filipino) recipes compiled by a native of the Philippines who is living and working far away from home. Please spread the word about his blog and share his recipe, adapted here:
Chicken Lollipop has a spicy and delicious taste. It is meant to be served with your favorite dip. This dish is made by marinating the chicken wings in a spicy batter, coating them with bread crumbs and then deep frying in hot oil until they are golden brown and crispy.
Estimated time of preparation: 20 minutes (plus marinating time)
Estimated time of cooking: 15-20 minutes.
10 pieces chicken wings
1/4 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
cooking oil for frying
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Using a sharp knife, cut the chicken wings through the soft joints.
- Carefully slide a sharp knife around the tip of the bone.
- Separate the meat from the bone and gently push down the meat until a lollipop shape is formed.
- Repeat the procedures for remaining pieces.
- In a bowl, combine chicken, cayenne, salt and pepper. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Add beaten eggs and flour. Mix well until coated, then roll in bread crumbs.
- In a frying pan, heat oil over a medium heat.
- Deep fry the chicken for about 10 minutes or until colors turn to golden brown and tender.
- Drain on paper towels and transfer to serving plate. Serve chicken lollipop with your favorite dip.